Tuesday, August 21, 2012

PAGE SEVEN: my first piano


In September, 1959 Nanna, my mother's mother, helped my parents to buy my first piano, which was an 85 note W H Paling iron frame black upright, which had been made late in the 1890s, I think.

The price was 90 guineas. Nanna said she would pay the 90 pounds if Mum and Dad paid the 90 shillings.

Mum and Dad bought the piano in a private sale from someone who lived in Marks Point, Lake Macquarie. The piano removalists couldn't get the piano down the stairs, so they had to lower it on ropes from the balcony. Mum was worried it would drop and be destroyed in the attempt!

When it arrived at Lot 33, York Crescent, Belmont North my brother Malcolm said
When Daddy comes home, David can show him how it goes!

On 29th September, 1959 I had my first piano lesson from Mrs Joy Walton at Melody Lodge in Albert St, Belmont.

I was a very nervous child and Mrs Walton was just right for me. She was kind and easy-going and I enjoyed every lesson from my Florence Wickins piano tutor.

I thought playing the piano was the greatest thing and never had to be told to practise. So it is not easy for me to relate to students who don't automatically want to practise, but I do try to understand.

I'm very grateful to my Nanna for her part in setting me on the road of discovering Music. Rachmaninov was surely right when he said
Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for Music.

table of contents


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You made certain nice points there. I did a search on the issue and found mainly folks will agree with your blog.

furniture removalist sydney