Saturday, May 01, 2010

The future of books

Mark Meynell's review of John Stott's The Radical Disciple is an excellent summary and shows the high regard Mark has for Uncle John, as I see we are now calling him.

But I wanted to post here Stott's observations about the future of books:
John Stott, Christian statesman, writes at the conclusion of his 51st book, in a poignant farewell note to his readers:

Looking ahead, none of us of course knows what the future of printing and publishing may be.

But I myself am confident that the future of books is assured and that, though they will be complemented, they will never be altogether replaced.

For there is something unique about books. Our favourite books become very precious to us and we even develop with them an almost living and affectionate relationship.

So let me urge you to keep reading, and encourage your relatives and friends to do the same. For this is a much-neglected means of grace.