Saturday, February 13, 2010

You and I and Me



I often notice that people don't say You and Me any more, but always say You and I. A sexagenarian told me that it is always wrong to say You and Me.

But I do have to admit that it is tricky and I can see why we have settled on always saying You and I.

Today I watched We Are The World 25 For Haiti. I would have loved an annotated copy, like the one someone has kindly done of the original version.

I couldn't help noticing these words:
It's true we'll make a better day
Just you and me


I was pleased to hear people singing You and Me, but disappointed that it was incorrect, and that they should have sung You and I.

I think that in this couplet You and Me is being used as a parallel to We, so that you would say "You and I will make a better day" not
"You and ME will make a better day."

How disappointing!

And I have to admit that when I say "You and Me," even when it appears to be correct grammar, it is starting to sound odd. Ain't that a shame!


No comments: