Sunday, February 15, 2009

God told me?


Yesterday I went to Alan's 70th birthday party. We met Alan around about 1992, I suppose. I love Alan's twinkling eyes, his sense of humour, his caring nature, but above all his commitment to growing in his understanding of God and his Word.

Alan once told me that he came to Glenbrook Baptist Church, the place we met and where he still serves Christ, because God told him to go along and cheer someone up.

Does God still speak to people in this way today? I'm suspicious of claims of direct divine guidance, and so is Alan. But I believe that when we put our lives in God's hands, we can look back on our lives and see that he was leading us.

I think the results of Alan's involvement at Glenbrook give us confidence that he was directed by God. I wish everyone would get involved in churches for similar reasons. So often people join churches to meet their own needs, or because they like the style of music there.

We wish Alan many more years of cheering people up.

No comments: