Thursday, January 08, 2009

New Testament citing Old Testament

N B: You may need to be a registered owner of the excellent ESV Study Bible to access the link.

It is interesting to see the passages from the Old Testament which are repeatedly quoted in the New.

Passages cited 4 times or more
Genesis 2:24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.[4 times]

Genesis 15:6 And [Abraham] believed the Lord, and he counted it to him as righteousness. [4 times]

Exodus 3:6 And he said, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God. [5 times]

Leviticus 19:18 You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbour as yourself: I am the Lord. [10 times]

Deuteronomy 6:5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. [4 times]

Joshua 22:5 Only be very careful to observe the commandment and the law that Moses the servant of the Lord commanded you, to love the Lord your God, and to walk in all his ways and to keep his commandments and to cling to him and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.” [4 times]

Psalm 22:19 they divide my garments among them,
and for my clothing they cast lots. [4 times]

Psalm 110:1 The Lord says to my Lord:
“Sit at my right hand,
until I make your enemies your footstool.” [6 times]

Psalm 118:22 The stone that the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone. [4 times]

Psalm 118:26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!
We bless you from the house of the Lord. [6 times]

Daniel 7:13 “I saw in the night visions,
and behold, with the clouds of heaven
there came one like a son of man,
and he came to the Ancient of Days
and was presented before him. [6 times]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Repetition is impressive. Thank you for this.

David McKay said...

Hi decann.
This is just a snippet of the great resources available in the ESV Study Bible.

Over the past three years, I have read through several study Bibles, including the NIV Archaeological Study Bible and the ESV Reformation Study Bible. Both of those are very good, thoguh I did not read every single word of the study notes in the RSB.

The articles in both of those study Bibles are very helpful, as are the charts, maps, pictures and diagrams.

But the ESV Study Bible is very comprehensive and is going to take me abotu 3 years to get through, based on my current progress. but, I think that God has led me to read his Word through seven times rapidly, which has been very beneficial, but now my task is to read it through in an indepth and slow way.