Thursday, January 08, 2009

Cake tin, part 2

My cake tin [and my 1920 Globite school case] have quite a few Thankyou notes in them, which I treasured and kept.

Do you enjoy receiving Thankyou notes? Quite a few I've received have been from students, including school students and piano students. I think I have a total of one thankyou for my preaching, and I guess there's a message in that! [Thanks Col, I'd completely forgotten about your kind note.]

One of the notes I received was from one of nine students whom I had prepared for their Higher School Certificate exam, back in 1991. All of the students seemed to be appreciative, but one took the trouble to write. She recently turned up at our church in Bathurst and it took me a while to recall who she was, as I had only taught her for about ten weeks. But when I did get my brain into gear, I immediately remembered her thoughtfulness.

I also enjoy sending thankyous. Sometimes written, but often spoken. But none of the ones in my tin are emails or phone calls or verbal ones [which aren't worth the paper they're not written on ...]

There is something about getting a piece of old-fashioned snail mail, still. In our pre-internet days, in our previous church, there was a lovely lady called Nanna Flo. She had a habit of writing people letters and posting them. Almost everyone in the church had received one of her special handwritten, encouraging letters.

Have you thanked the people who helped you come to faith in Christ and those who have helped you grow? Are they still alive? What is stopping you?

Giving and receiving thanks reminds me of Jesus' words, which Christians have called The Golden Rule:
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

No comments: