Monday, February 18, 2008

Grace

Yesterday three facebook friends all spontaneously and simultaneously wrote about God's amazing kindness to us.

Mandy wrote that she is
thankful that come judgement day, her life is hidden in Christ so she is confident of a verdict of 'Not Guilty.'
Sarah said she is
saved by grace - and so thankful for this great gift.
and Gordon said he is
thanking God for his grace


An old, old hymn came into my head on reading these three comments. I'm guessing it will be new to many.
1. Grace! 'Tis a charming sound,
Harmonious to the ear;
Heaven with the echo shall resound,
And all the earth shall hear.

2. Grace first contrived the way
To save rebellious man,
And all the steps that grace display
Which drew the wondrous plan.

3. Grace first inscribed my name
In God's eternal book;
'Twas grace that gave me to the Lamb,
Who all my sorrows took.

4. Grace led my wandering feet
To tread the heavenly road;
And new supplies each hour I meet
While pressing on to God.

5. Grace taught my soul to pray
And made mine eyes o'erflow;
'Twas grace that kept me to this day
And will not let me go.

6. Grace all the work shall crown
Through everlasting days;
It lays in heaven the topmost stone
And well deserves the praise.

It was written by Philip Doddridge in 1755, but Augustus Toplady, writer of Rock of Ages, composed the 3rd and 5th stanzas in 1776. Love it.

No comments: