Monday, February 10, 2014

Meditating ...day and night

 
When I started walking with Louie, half-way through 2013,  I decided to recommence memorising Scripture. After some to-ing and fro-ing, I've settled into working through Psalms.

We learnt Psalm 1 and Psalm 23 in Sunday School, and so I first began revising those. Then I remembered that I had learnt musical versions of Psalms 150, 100, 121, and part of 46 in the 70s, in Scripture in Song versions, and so found it fairly easy to relearn them.

I think the King James Version has a lot going for it. It isn't perfect, but it certainly has power, and I'm enjoying learning these psalms in that venerable edition of God's Word.

So far I have learnt eleven psalms and am currently tackling my first lengthy one: Psalm 73. This is going to take some time!

For a sixty-one year old, learning an unfamiliar isn't easy, so I cheated and began with 117 - the shortest one! I've also tackled two other short psalms [70 and 82].

I hope to learn psalms from each of the five books, and intend to expand my repertoire proportionately, so that I learn a similar amount of each of the books, and gradually commit the same proportion of Psalm 119 to memory.

But I'm only going to be able to do this with God's help, as the opening verse of Psalm 127 reminds us:
Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it:
except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.


 
 

2 comments:

Gordon Cheng said...

A wonderful project! May God indeed build your house.

David McKay said...

Thanks Gordon.