Wednesday, September 30, 2009

New Jerusalem Study Bible

Hi Andrew. Thanks for your comments.
I have enjoyed reading your double usefulness blog.

Yes, I finished The New Jerusalem Study Bible. I completed reading it on 3rd January, 2009.

I like the way that it is not tied to the King James Version tradition that is followed by versions such as the NASB, NKJV, RSV, NRSV, NIV and TNIV. This provides some refreshing and different translational options.

The translation does not seem to be excessively Roman Catholic, though the study notes reflect Roman Catholic theology, but not as much as might have been expected. The problem with the study notes is that they convey a liberal theologian's low view of the Bible itself, and often seem to be intimating that the Bible is the words of men, but not at the same time the words of God. I acknowledge that the Bible is written by men, but believe that through the superintendence of the Holy Spirit, they wrote freely, wrote what they wanted to say, but wrote what God wanted them to say, too. 2 Peter 1:20-21

But the translation is well worth reading, I think.

No comments: