Friday, June 01, 2007

Words that make me cringe, part 7

Hell.
Gives me the heebie-jeebies for lots of reasons.
The old song that says
Lotsa folk talkin' 'bout heaven ain't-a goin' there
Hebbennnnn
Hebbennnnn
could be altered to read [though not as tastefully]
Lotsa people flippantly referring to hell repeatedly
Could be headin' there

The idea of hell makes me cringe, but I think that's a good thing. I don't think Jesus talked about it to make us feel warm and cuddly, but to warn us that it is waiting for all who turn their backs on God and who break his righteous laws.

The word frightens me, because I know I ought to be sent there, because I am one of those rebels. It also sobers my thinking, because the people I see every day, who have no regard for God, are en route.

This could be one reason I can never sing along with the AC/DC anthem. Why ever did they compose it? Did they believe it, or were they shaking their fists in God's face, who any moment could quickly give them the biggest reality check they had ever known?

But I think that I ought to be revolted by hell, because there is none of God's kindness, mercy and patience there, balancing his holiness, justice and hatred of our sin and of sinful people.

Have you seriously considered God's wonderful way of escape from your own rebellion and the consequences of it, through the death of his Son, Jesus Christ? This year, I'm celebrating 50 Christmases since I embraced this gift, by God's grace.

No comments: